Tuesday 18 October 2011

Concept: colour


I wish I could remember exactly how I asked Daisy to describe the colours of the pencils on the restaurant table last night. I must have phrased it in such a way that she felt she could have some fun with her answers, and she must have been in a creative mood, because here's what she came up with:

tomato
strawberry
apricot
pink milk
blackberry
broccoli
broccoli leaf
broccoli stem
skin
sun
lemon
carrot

Aren't they brilliant!

These clever descriptions reminded me of a fabulous new book I've been meaning to buy called Ruby, Violet, Lime - Looking for Colour by one of my favourite writers Jane Brocket. I think it will encourage my children to think beyond the basics; to identify the moods that colour can evoke, and to spot subtle differences in shade and tone. As you can see, Daisy already seems to love the concept, and I'm sure she'll adore this book. One for the Christmas list then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please leave your comment here.