Friday 5 October 2012

Spooky spiders


We had great fun making these spiders and webs this evening. Here's what we used:

 For the webs:-

  • black card squares
  • white wool
  • blunt plastic needle
  • sticky tape

... and for the spiders:-

  • pompoms
  • pipe-cleaners
  • googly eyes



Here's what we did: 

First I punched holes into the black card. To get to the middle of the squares, using a regular hole-punch, I just folded them wherever I needed, making temporary edges, so that the hole-punch would reach. Once the pieces of card were full of holes and flattened back out, the children started weaving their webs. 

I would recommend Eric Carle's The Very Busy Spider for ideas for web shapes, but tonight I just let the children use their imaginations to create their own designs. We secured the wool-ends with a little sticky-tape.

The spiders were made by sticking on as many googly eyes as desired to pompoms of choice. I secured the pipe-cleaner legs to the spiders using our warm glue-gun.

After photographing the finished spiders and webs, we decided to spookify them a little more by inverting the colours on the image. Now they look extremely Halloween-ish.

1 comment:

  1. This is a brilliant idea, and really effective. Can't wait to try it with my boys. x

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please leave your comment here.