Wednesday 4 January 2012

Let's start the new year right

One minute to midnight
One minute to go
One minute to say goodbye
Before we say hello

Let's start the new year right
Twelve o'clock tonight
When they dim the light 
Let's begin

Kissing the old year out
Kissing the new year in

Let's watch the old year die
With a fond goodbye
And our hopes as high as a kite

How can our love go wrong
If we start the new year right?
                                                                                                                             
                                                                                             [Irving Berlin, Holiday Inn 1942]


I love this song by Irving Berlin - it's the perfect blend of new year hopefulness and melancholy. And I love this picture by Daisy - it's us celebrating the arrival of 2012. With a cat. I suspect Hello Kitty.

Today would have been my mum's birthday. She passed away three years ago, and so I begin the new year thinking of her. Writing Adventures at Home has seen me through a couple of years of tough evenings. This is when I've missed my mum the most because it's when I've had time to myself. It's still comforting to talk about my family here because my mum always loved to know about the brilliant things her grandchildren said, made, did and played. So, even three years on, I guess I'm still just keeping her posted really.

With the children back at school today I have been trying to 'start the new year right' by de-Christmassing the house, and embarking on yet another toy audit - integrating all those new Santa-brought items into our home. I have been quite brave; boxing up and putting out of sight some of the pre-school books and toys that suddenly seem so out of place - including some lovely things bought for the children by my mum. 

I realise, with a tinge of sadness, how my children have changed from toddlers to sophisticated school kids since Grandma died but I am delighted to see they are beginning 2012 with absolute expertise in play. They are still so creative and spontaneous, so amazingly imaginative and energetic; they really do take my breath away sometimes. They still want to make, do, sing, dance, pretend and create and, quite newly, to draw, write and read - and do so with infectious enthusiasm. Long may it continue.

So here's to a brand new year of Adventures at Home. We certainly haven't run out of them yet and so, as I said in my very first post, this blog will be a record of them all. I do hope you will continue to follow our adventures.

I dedicate this first post of the new year to my wonderful mum - Grandma. Thinking of her today and every day.





4 comments:

  1. I think of your dear mum an awful lot. Tonight I shall raise one of the fabulous glasses she gave us for our wedding all those years ago and smile for a lovely lady, much missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you prayers and good thoughts today as you remember your mum.

    Recently discovered your blog and can't wait to see what fun things you have planned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Bron. And thanks Jennifer. Welcome to Adventures at Home - it's usually more of a laugh on here; promise! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A moment of reflection as you start fresh! Remembering your mother at this time much bring such mixed feelings. I am sure she is very proud of all yo have achieved. Glad to have discovered your blog x

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please leave your comment here.